Sunday, October 25, 2009

"..but greatest of all is love"

I thank God for each new day here in Guyana. He is so close, and He reveals Himselves for me in a new way every day, through all I see, hear, feel etc.. Sometimes I wonder if I have come to the garden og ede.. Canooing down one of the many rivers, surrounded by jungle, flocs of birds dressed in beautiful colors guiding the way. Knowing that poisonous snakes and crocodiles are hiding in the brown water. Singing to Jesus. Being amazed by the creator of all this beauty. But then I look behind all this, and I see the poverty, I see the men sitting all day long smoking marihuana, I see the old woman in the street with her life in a plastic bag, I see the orphans, I see the two small boys which was "left in the grass" by their mother. My heart breaks, and I realize that this is not garden of ede, this is a place with a lot of suffering...

...But it is also a place where there's big possibilities to make a difference. There's such a need for love, God's kind of love. And I find that's one of the main reasons why I am here. Every day I get the chance to give some love to people around me. Hug a child, listen to someone's story, go to the hospital, visit the sick, comfort a crying child, minister to a mother that has been sitting on a chair next to her sick child's bed - without sleeping or eating for a week, praying together with them, praying for God's healing and strength. I find that nothing gives me so much that being able to share God's love with someone.

Guyana is such a uniqe country, a mix of everything I've seen before. Villages like Thailand, rainforest, african markets, dalladalla, cows in the streets, african people, asian people, some few europeans, spicy food, sweet and juicy fruits, working horses, friendly people, rasta men who wants to marry me..
I'm starting to get used to the wild life inside the house which I'm living in. Frogs jumping out from the shower, coming up from the sink, sitting on the toilet seat, jumping over the table. Big beautiful butterflies flying around, fireflies lightening up the night, and so many different creatures I'd never seen before crawling all over; floor, roof, walls, bed.. After a week I look like a walking mosquito bite, but I'm still happy to be here, and really excited that I have so much time left!

Today I made had some interesting experiences. I went to a Guyanese church, which was quite a wonderful experience, so much passion for Jesus, and a big hunger for more of Him! In the afternoon we went on to a Hindu wedding just across the street. We got a lot of good and spicy food served in a huge leaf, crazy loud music, old women dancing, tradissions. Nice experiance, very different..

Thank God for who He is, and pray for my brothers in Tanzania that suffers from malaria.
Love

4 comments:

  1. wow. Gud har virkelig tatt deg med på eventyr.. fantastisk å lese !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Klart du skal få lese stilen. Eg skal sende han til deg når eg får han tilbake.
    Fantastisk å lese, nok ein gong. Det høyres ut som om d har eit flott liv i Guyana.
    Guds signing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm... syntes alt hørtes fint og flott ut, heilt til avsnitte om froskane kom... Skjønne at Guyana is not my place..
    Super digg å lese litt om koss det går anyway!
    Love u 2 VKT

    ReplyDelete